Friday, July 29, 2016

Picture Perfect, Part 2

And the winner is...
Not so fast. First you need to read about how I came to that decision.

So, armed with a list of needs and wants, I managed to come up with a list of 12 camera models. I returned to Jax Outdoors (in Fort Collins this time) and spoke with the tech at length. I handled the cameras they had on hand from my list - about half and ended up ruling out all but three.

Here were the finalists:
  • Nikon D5500
  • Fujifilm X-T1*
  • Canon Rebel T6i
* They didn't have the X-T1 but they did have the X-T10. This camera was really nice and had the best images of the three, however the grip wasn't very comfortable for me and the camera was a little on the small side. The tech suggested we look into the X-T1 as it was a little bigger with the same perks as the X-T10.

Back home, I returned to the internet and searched for specific articles on the three finalists. I also read CNET reviews and did some price checking. All three had the features and specs I wanted. In reviews, each of these cameras did well; specifically the Fujifilm rated top and the Canon rated bottom (of the three). Price-wise, they rated in the same order with Fujifilm being the most expensive and Canon the least.

In the end, I chose the Nikon D5500 over the others. The kit lens I purchased was a Nikkor AF XS 18-55mmVR II.
Described as a top-line enthusiast camera, it was affordable and allowed me to keep within budget (which was set for $1500). Purchasing the Nikon allowed me to get some extras (via a package kit) and enabled me to spend some money on a nice macro lens for our food photography. I'm currently vacillating between a Tamron 90mm f2.8 and a Tokina 100mm f2.8 for a compatible macro lens. More on that once I've made up my mind.



See the other posts in this series:
Part 1 – Camera Research
Part 3 – Zoom Lens
Part 4 – Fast Prime Lens
Part 5 – Macro Lens
 

No comments:

Post a Comment